2.7.05 Monday [needing time]

I had two deliveries today, and both went without incident. It took the entire morning and afternoon, so once I finished I headed straight to Reg’s place.

“I’ve been thinkin’,” he said.
“About?”
“Well, so far I’ve written yew checks for a total of about fo-teen thousand.”
I nodded.
“And so far, I haven’t seen any of it comin’ back.”
“I’m sorry,” I said sheepishly.
“No, no. I don’t want yew to be sorry, I want to know how I’m gonna git my money back,” he said smiling.
“Well, I think it’s going to be awhile.”
“I understand, Micah. I knew from the beginnin’ it would take time to finish payin’ off. I just didn’t expect it to take this long to start. Now I’ve been pretty easy about all of this, so far. I know what kinda situation yo in, and I do wanna help yew out. But I need to see yew helpin’ yoself out too. Have yew even looked for a job?”
I admitted I hadn’t.
“I think yew should start. In fact, I think we should cut it back to one check per day, so yew can have some time for job-huntin’.”
I agreed that it would be a good idea. He grabbed his checkbook and wrote out the amount for the next return. I accepted it with a tinge of disappointment, knowing that this would equate to yet another setback. More than anything, I was upset at myself.

A minute later, the news broadcast begun, signified by the confident voice of an anchorman previewing the night’s stories.

“Police in Fayette crack down on speeders…”
“A kidnapping terrorizes a small community…”
“A new health report reveals worrisome information regarding SUVs…”
“And finally, our top story for tonight: a local thief tries to turn over a new leaf…”

We flashed each other a glance of panic and then lunged for the remote, raising the volume. It was bad news. One of my victims decided to ignore the note.

“So I saw all that money and the note there, and it asks me not to tell anybody, so I says to my husband, ‘We should report it, could be terrorist or somp’n!’” The woman explained haphazardly. I realized it was one of yesterday’s deliveries. After a few more of the woman’s useless comments, the camera returned its focus on the reporter.
“After talking with authorities this evening, we have learned that they believe they have linked the victims, but they would not say how, as their investigation is still under way. For those yet to be compensated, this is a time of mixed feelings of hope and worry, but police have maintained their stand that the thief should still be viewed as a criminal. Robert Lau reporting live from the scene, Channel 5 news.”

Reginald shut it off and gave me a sober look.
“It’s yo call. What would yew like to do?”
I was already convinced about what needed to be done.
“I have to get that money back. If I can return all of it before they catch up with me, I just might be able to sway their minds.”
“It’s a longshot, boy.”
“You’ll get your money back, Reginald. Even if I get locked away, I will never forget about our promise.”
He stared at me intently for some time. Then he nodded.
“Ok, that’s good enough for me. I’m takin’ a risk, but yew really are one of a kind, Micah. I don’t doubt yew for one second.”
He took the check from me and tore it up. Then he wrote a new one and passed it to me. The figure was staggering. He’d written a check for the remaining twelve thousand.

The end is near. I can see them now, shuffling through mounds of papers, realizing who the only possible suspect could be. Or maybe they’re closer. Maybe they’re on the rooftop outside, watching me with binoculars, as I watched so many before. But no matter how much I dwell on this, my only anxiety stems from knowing that I may never right all the wrongs of my past. I’m so close. I just need a few more days…

-M.J.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home