2.1.05 Tuesday [Marcus]

I think I figured it out…

I was right when I said that I can’t just give the money back personally—it would be impossible to pull off without incident. They would probably mistake me for a psycho and end up running off and reporting me. And with even an ounce of sleuthing, the cops would figure everything out. I could LEAVE the cash someplace where they can recover it, though—I could put it in a bag in an alley someplace. But I don’t trust the alleys around here much with their greedy gangs and scheming bums. So what am I left with? I will have to deliver it. And since it would be stupid to leave such amounts of cash on any doorstep, it means I’ll have to break in yet again. This is where parkour comes in. This is what the judge meant.

So with this revelation I cashed the check. Of course, the bank reminded me that I also had a fifteen-dollar fee to pay, so I got that out of the way too…I should have robbed them after all.

With the cash in hand, I got in my car and slipped on my infamous hoodie/beanie combo and drove North to the quiet, modest neighborhood of Mr. Marcus Heinz. It had been a sloppy job on a sloppy day. It was stormy, with water lurching from the sky and drenching everything. But I had stubbornly kept to a schedule, and instead of postponing the strike, I went for it. All went well until, with the goods in my bag, I leapt from a second-story window and twisted my ankle in the boggy lawn. I had to limp the distance back to my car, which was parked on the opposite side of a wooded acre.

Dusk was settling in as I drove slowly down his street, vividly recalling the last time I’d been there. I parked in the same spot, hiked through the woods, and found his hidden key easily for the second time. I knocked first, making sure no one was home. Satisfied, I unlocked the door and placed the bagged cash on his kitchen counter. In the end, the entire escapade couldn’t have been more than six minutes, and I only vaulted a single banister. Rather disappointing, actually.

Still, that’s one juror down, eleven to go. And two lawyers…but do THEY really need it?...

-M.J.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home